Parcel’s Post: Gales of Trivia
In honor of March Madness, I wanted to toss out some fun trivia fact on the tournament!
- In 2006 no # 1 seeds made the Final Four.
- In 1970 Austin Carr, a Notre Dame player,set a tournament game record by sinking 61 points in a first round.
- Texas Western was the first team with an all-black starting lineup to win the national championship in the 1966 tournament.
- The only year all four #1 seeds made it to the Final Four has been 2008.
- Larry Brown, coach of the Kansas Jayhawks in 1988 and the Detroit Pistons in 2004, is the only coach to win both NCAA and NBA championships.
- UCLA holds the most championships and has won the national title 11 times.
- The University of Oregon won the first NCAA tournament in 1939.
- University of Michigan’s Glen Rice is known for most points scored in a single tournament at 184. A feat accomplished in 1989.
- Odds of filling out a perfect bracket are 1 in 9.2 quadrillion.
- The record for the highest-scoring game in NCAA tournament history at 264 points goes to Loyola Marymount vs. Michigan. In 1990, they had a final score of 149-115!
So until next time, enjoy watching the games, and who knows, you may even witness some of these records being broken.